LINCOLN – Spring turkey hunters are urged to be safe while enjoying their experience this spring by knowing their target and what is beyond it.
The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission has the following additional safety tips:
– Wear blaze orange so other hunters will see you. Avoid wearing blue, red and white because they are colors common to turkeys.
– Do not shoot at sound or movement.
– If you see another hunter stalking you, call out to alert him to your presence.
– Treat the shotgun as if it were loaded, keep it clear of obstructions and never point it at anything you do not intend to shoot.
– Unload firearms when not in use and store them and ammunition in separate locations under lock and key.